Principal Civil Engineer
Vertical Recruitment are working with a multi-award-winning engineering and environmental design consultancy with a proven reputation for technical excellence and exceptional client satisfaction. They’re extremely proud to be awarded ACE Best Large Consultancy of the year 2022 and rated Platinum Investors In People (IIP), a prestigious accolade that demonstrating their commitment to their people and establishes them as an employer of choice.
They hold investing in their people in high regard and ensure they have everything they need to develop a fantastic career. They extensively research, benchmark and review all salaries and benefits against others within the industry.
What you’ll be doing
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Highways Engineer at Associate status to work in the Design Infrastructure team. The company have recently become a Highways England Regional Delivery Partner and you will be working with Highways England as well as numerous other key clients and will be a key member of a growing team within BWB.
Working on challenging projects, you will be proficient in undertaking several aspects of preliminary and detailed design of public highways including geometry, drainage, pavements and other elements of highway schemes.
- You will have a keen interest in developing your understanding and ability in civil engineering design and a willingness to research and take on new challenges.
- To be able to work independently and use your engineering judgement to tackle day to day problems, delegate tasks and show a desire to develop graduates and engineers within the team.
- You will have experience of the multi-disciplinary nature of complex projects from planning stage, through to completion.
- Show a desire to develop your project coordination skills and a willingness to understand more about other disciplines roles on projects.
- You will have experience of the requirements of working with different types of client in a complex industry – our clients include developers, local authorities and contractors, all of whom have different expectations and requirements from you and the projects you will work on.
What you’ll need?
- Technical independence with industry standard design software packages Civil 3D (although extensive experience in the use of OpenRoads or PDS would be considered as long as there is a willingness to train on Civil 3D) and Microdrainage.
- The use of the Microsoft Office Suite of software, including Excel.
- Experience liaising with both internal and external bodies.
- Experience liaising with other consultants, project managers and directly with Clients.
- Good commercial awareness with effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude to develop emerging and new client relationships.
- Experience of providing an outward facing capacity as a design team representative in dealings with clients on technical matters.
- A visible and participative technical lead, willing and able to take responsibility for the technical solutions for projects.
- An ability to effectively delegate design responsibility to others and act in a mentoring role to less experienced staff.
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, with the ability to adapt communication style to suit different circumstances.
- Track record of building and maintaining strong relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- A ‘self-starter’ with drive, positivity and enthusiasm and a strong desire to succeed.
- Excellent Base Salary + Car Allowance
- 25 days holiday with the option to purchase more pension
- Life Assurance 4 x salary
- Wellbeing support – qualified confidential support through Westfield Health
- Pension -matching 5% of your salary into your pension to help save for the future.
- Healthcare cash plan
- Hybrid working
- Access to personalised fully funded Learning & Development opportunities
- Charterships and Paid professional subscriptions
- Perkbox – Access to exclusive savings, discounts, free advice and benefits
- Cycle to Work
- Paid volunteering days and regular social events
- Long service reward scheme
- They welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.