Vertical Recruitment is working closely with an award-winning Building Services Consultancy. Known for high-quality, forward thinking and sustainable design solutions. They boast an enviable portfolio of global landmark projects across a variety of sectors. The team in Manchester is looking to make several key appointments, this includes a Sustainability Consultant / Building Physics Engineer. The business is innovative and multidisciplinary, with building services engineers, environmental design consultants and lighting designers all under one roof. Each is passionate about making the world a better place.
You have a numerate degree in engineering, architecture, or a similar field. You have a track record of successfully coordinating and delivering sustainable and environmental design scope on projects and managing small project teams. If you get excited about learning new things, innovation and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge. This is your chance to help further shape our brand in Manchester.
About the role
You will work on developing highly sustainable urban and building design, advising on sustainability strategy, environmental design and building services solutions that will involve a mix of innovative technologies and approaches.
Responsibilities will include:
- Delivering environmental and sustainability advice on projects for both internal and external clients.
- Framing client briefs in terms of environmental and sustainable aspirations.
- Environmental design
- Sustainable strategies
- Healthy buildings
- Passive building design including energy, water and daylight design
- Performance modelling and optimisation
- The circular economy, including carbon, energy, water, waste and other resource flows
- Sustainability and wellness benchmarking and implementation
- Underpinning recommendations with sound analysis, including building physics
- Coordinating recommendations and approach with the building services engineering concepts, working with in-house and external engineers to achieve this.
- Acting as project manager for the environmental design scope and taking responsibility for the successful project delivery.
This would include:
- Independent, proactive project framing and planning
- Client management and communication
- Preparing for and attending client presentations and meetings
- Writing and reviewing technical reports
- Fee forecasting and resource planning
- Effective internal team coordination
- Ensure delivering performance modelling and certifications for benchmarking systems (BREEAM, WELL etc)
- Mentoring and supporting and nurturing junior staff in the team
- Assisting in business development and winning new project work
Qualifications and experience
To be considered for the job, you should be able to demonstrate proven track record in these areas:
- Successfully co-ordinating and delivering sustainable & environmental design input to projects
- Knowledge of and experience with the application of building physics packages such as IES and TAS.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, prioritise and to think strategically about the timing and delivery
- Engaging with and influencing peers outside of formal management relationships
- Strong writing skills for producing written reports
- Effective analytical and IT skills to develop new and bespoke assessment methods for project specific tasks and rendered in a manner that allows re-use
- Engaging and negotiating with senior management and peers on projects
- Specialist knowledge in a chosen discipline (e.g. performance modelling, circular economy, benchmarking, etc)
On Offer to You
In return for your enthusiasm, expertise and commitment, the following will be on offer.
- A competitive salary
- Benefits including private medical insurance
- Flexi-hours and Hybrid Working
- Broad variety in the work on offer
- Opportunities for career growth and support for professional development
Perhaps most importantly, you’ll get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You’ll get to make a genuine personal difference, in a way that’s not always possible in a bigger corporate environment.